Full-time position at Effective Giving
Effective Giving is an ultra-high-net-worth philanthropic advisory and grantmaking organization with a distributed team based in London, Oxford, Amsterdam, Norway, Hong Kong and San Francisco. We deployed over $30M in 2021 and have grown at over 400% per year for the last three years. We take an academic approach to maximizing expected impact and are one of only a handful of organizations focused primarily on safeguarding future generations.
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience
Location: London/Oxford/Amsterdam (remote possible)
Effective Giving aims to help solve the world’s most pressing problems. We collaborate with ambitious philanthropists and our extensive network of independent experts to identify bold projects that have the potential to create outsized impact and make them happen.
Since 2018, Effective Giving has established proof of concept, a strong network across the global catastrophic risk community, grantee organizations and mission-aligned donors, and an international team that is now ready to scale in earnest.
Like all small, tight-knit organizations, we highly value our team culture and want to ensure everyone we bring on is a good fit. Everyone is here to maximize their impact and do as much as they can to safeguard the future of humanity. We work accordingly, with a flat structure and a highly collaborative work environment focused on finding the right answers to difficult challenges.
Effective Giving has scaled its funding rapidly over the past three years and is now one of the largest funders of projects aiming to safeguard future generations. We are now looking to increase the capacity of the team to take on increasingly ambitious projects in 2022. On that basis, we are seeking 1-3 Associates to support our current funding work and our activities as an active funder.
These Associates will work with the wider Effective Giving team to build and execute repeatable, flexible processes to help Effective Giving deploy philanthropic capital.
In short, this role could have an exceptionally large impact.
- Design, implement and improve operational processes to streamline work across the organization.
- Support the executive team in project management of core priorities, including grantmaking, active funding and direct advisory.
- Work with the grants team and organization leadership to support and improve our grantmaking process and logistics.
- Support the grant recommendation process, including coordinating, compiling, editing, and polishing grant recommendations.
- Coordinate grant execution process, including communication with grantee organizations and conducting due diligence.
- Conduct monitoring and evaluation investigations on our granted organizations to share with advisees and determine worthiness for potential re-granting.
- Support the executive team in building a robust and scalable organization, including investigating legal, tax and accounting queries.
- Support the CEO and Founder on a variety of ad-hoc projects.
Over time, successful Associate(s) are likely to assume responsibility for several of these functions.
Who we’re looking for
Experience and skills
- Strong critical analysis and reasoning.
- Strong written communication. A quick, clear writer who can translate complex academic findings into language that is understandable for non-academics and helps them to make decisions.
- Ability to create and polish quick, high-quality slides to clearly convey persuasive points for advisee meetings, learning journeys, and follow-ups.
- Good interpersonal skills, ability to explain your thoughts clearly and confidently.
- Experienced, detail-oriented project manager who can keep the trains running on time.
- Proactive in spotting and flagging potential pitfalls or bottlenecks.
- Finds variance exciting rather than stressful.
- Analytical. Favors strong argument to narrative.
- High integrity.
- A positive, constructive approach to giving and receiving feedback.
- Extremely aligned in focusing on long-termist impact (in expectation).
- Excited by a mission-focused ‘startup’ way of working.
- Willing to take a hits-based approach to grantmaking and project development, but hyper-focused on avoiding projects that could cause outsized harm.
- Exposure to cutting-edge projects and organizations, leaders in the field.
- Access to the inner workings of a fast-growing grant-making organization and active funder, including frequent exposure to (and opportunities to work alongside) firm leadership.
- Startup-style entrepreneurial culture with the ability to work on a diverse range of projects and build skills in multiple areas at once.
- Highly flexible working environment and location – work from one of our existing offices or work remotely as suits your location needs.
- We’ll make sure you have:
- Your ideal desk setup: ergonomic budget of up to £2,000.
- Whatever you need to learn what you need to learn: professional development budget of up to £1,500 per year.
- Whatever you need to grow: personal development of up to £1,500 per year.
- 30 days paid vacation, plus two-week annual office closure in December.
- Generous parental leave policy.
- Health insurance options.
- 5% pension match.
Effective Giving is looking for mission-aligned hires who want to safeguard future generations against existential risks. If you’re interested in this role but don’t fit the profile exactly, we still encourage you to apply.
To apply, please fill out this form.