Full-time position at Effective Giving
Effective Giving is an ultra-high-net-worth philanthropic advisory and grantmaking organization based in London, Oxford and Amsterdam with new offices in Norway, Hong Kong and San Francisco. We take an academic approach to maximizing expected impact and are one of only a handful of organizations focused primarily on safeguarding future generations.
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience
Location: London/Oxford/Amsterdam (remote possible
Effective Giving aims to help solve the world’s most pressing problems. We collaborate with ambitious philanthropists and our extensive network of independent experts to identify bold projects that have the potential to create outsized impact and make them happen.
Since 2018, Effective Giving has established proof of concept, a strong network across the global catastrophic risk community, grantee organizations and mission-aligned donors, and an international team that is now ready to scale in earnest.
Like all small, tight-knit organizations, we highly value our team culture and want to ensure everyone we bring on is a good fit. Everyone is here to maximize their impact and do as much as they can to safeguard the future of humanity. We work accordingly, with a flat structure and a highly collaborative work environment focused on finding the right answers to difficult challenges.
The Effective Giving Biosecurity program was established early in 2021 and is now one of the largest funders of projects aiming to mitigate global catastrophic biological risks. We are now looking to increase the capacity of the team to take on increasingly ambitious projects in 2022. On that basis, we are seeking to hire for Program Associate and Program Officer roles (the job description for the Program Officer role is here) to work alongside the Program Lead, James Wagstaff.
The Biosecurity program will work with the wider Effective Giving team to build and execute a scalable program strategy for directly influencing eight figure sums in yearly philanthropic capital. In addition to allocating funds to existing projects in the space, the program will play a central role in our activities as an active funder, seeding new initiatives.
The Biosecurity program team will work closely together on projects. We envision that candidates better suited for the Program Officer role will be more experienced, and bring a strong interest in maintaining and building a network within the broader health security field; candidates better suited for Program Associate roles will have a stronger interest in conducting and managing prioritization analysis and research. As the team develops the precise balance of responsibilities between roles in the team will shift. Candidates for both roles will need a willingness to be flexible, and to contribute to development of the team’s operational processes. We encourage most applicants to consider applying for both roles.
Support the Program Lead to:
- Continue development of our biosecurity grant-making and prioritization strategy.
- Execute or commission research and analysis in collaboration with the GCBR reduction community.
- Identify and evaluate funding opportunities, likely including managing relationships with prospective and current grantees.
- Advise on the development and launch of GCBR-focused large-scale projects in which Effective Giving is an active funder.
- Conduct grantee monitoring and evaluation and for re-evaluation/follow-on funding
- Build out operational capacity and processes for achieving program objectives on ambitious timelines.
- Present compelling written justifications for chosen initiatives to Effective Giving leadership and advisees.
Over time, Program Associates are likely to assume responsibility for several of these functions.
Who we’re looking for
Experience and skills
- It is not necessary to have had experience in grantmaking, we care primarily about your ability to reason clearly and with excellent judgment.
- Familiarity with the future biosecurity and GCBR landscape, and, ideally, familiarity with the political landscape entwined with this field. Or a strong background in life science and a technology-oriented mindset.
- Strong written communication. A quick, clear writer who can translate complex academic findings into language that is understandable for non-academics and helps them to make decisions.
- Good interpersonal skills, ability to explain your thoughts clearly and confidently.
- Finds variance exciting rather than stressful.
- Analytical. Favors strong argument to narrative.
- A positive, constructive approach to giving and receiving feedback.
- High integrity. Extremely aligned in focusing on impact (in expectation).
- Willing to take a hits-based approach to grantmaking and project development, but hyper-focused on avoiding projects that could cause outsized harm.
- Exposure to cutting edge projects and organizations, leaders in the field.
- Access to the inner workings of a fast-growing grant-making and active funder, including frequent exposure to (and opportunities to work alongside) program and firm leadership.
- Startup-style entrepreneurial culture with the ability to work on a diverse range of projects and build skills in multiple areas at once.
- Highly flexible working environment and location – work from one of our existing offices or work remotely as suits your location needs.
- We’ll make sure you have:
- Your ideal desk setup: ergonomic budget of up to £2,000.
- Whatever you need to learn what you need to learn: professional development budget of up to £1,500 per year.
- Whatever you need to grow: personal development of up to £1,500 per year.
- 30 days paid vacation, plus two-week annual office closure in December.
- Generous parental leave policy.
- Health insurance options.
- 5% pension match.
Effective Giving is looking for mission-aligned hires who want to safeguard future generations against biological risks. If you’re interested in this role but don’t fit the profile exactly, we still encourage you to apply. As mentioned above, we’re also hiring for a Program Officer role. We encourage most applicants to apply for that role as well.
To apply, please fill out this form.